shabby template

Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Not-So-Golden Rule

Can we just call it "The Silver Rule" instead?
Just hear me out on this one.

I've been fed a lie my whole life.

And some light was shed on the matter
  at preschool.
I work with a little boy who, if he got his way,
would look at his stuffed animal Mario and Luigi ALL DAY.

And at preschool he assumes that every child wants to 
do the same at playtime. 
He thinks of their needs in terms of his needs.

I find myself asking him, "What do you think THEY want to play with"?
I don't say, "What do you want to play with? They probably want that too!"
Because that's unrealistic. 

As is the "Golden Rule"-
 "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you",
or some rendition like unto it.

So, I grew up thinking that everyone feels loved the same 
way that I do.

I thought, "Give them kisses and gifts and they'll feel loved." 
Oops. We have a problem people,
and it's the fact that we're all DIFFERENT.

And how I might want to be treated could possibly, 
and most likely is,
different than how you would prefer to be treated.


The "Golden Rule" might instead be: 
"Do unto others as God would do unto them".


We should treat people the way that an all knowing God
treats them.

And that seems kind of hard, but I think it can be done
when we see others as loving, kind, PEOPLE.

When it comes down to it, we might not even know
what the other person needs,
and there's the beauty of it all--God does know!

He knows what everyone needs and he'll help us love
each other.

Yup, that was a little sugary, but you get my point. 




No comments:

Post a Comment